Gomukh Tapovan Trek Overview
Within the 6 days of this Gangotri Gomukh Tapovan trek, one can marvel at the beauty of the Gomukh glacier, which forms one of the main sources of water for river Ganges. Along with your way to the peak, you can also visit several other attractions as well. This includes some of the popular and stunning pilgrimage sites in the area. The caves and huts housing ascetics at Tapovan are also quite inspiring. You will start the trek after reaching Rishikesh.
Uttarkashi to Gangotri will let you watch many holy rivers and landscapes which are the prominent attractions coming along with you. This trek will let you observe the magnificent beauty of Bhojwassa after you cover the well-laid paths leading to the region. The steep climbs leading to the high altitude meadows are conquered by many people before and you are also invited to catch the glimpses of the major towers in the Himalayan Ranges spreading across the region very closely by staying at the velvet type grasslands.
Witnessing the beauty of the stunning views of the Bhagirathi group of peaks, you will continue trekking to Gomukh and then towards Tapovan. Get a chance to witness the flora and fauna of the region as you keep continuing your trek on the seventh and eighth day. Conclude the trip after six days with precious memories created at the stunning locations.
About the Gomukh Tapovan:
Gomukh Tapovan Trek is considered as one of the most exciting and thrilling treks. Resembling the mouth of a cow, the Gomukh Glacier is one of the main water sources of the holy Ganges. Around the glacier, one can also view the peaks of Gangotri Group – Shivling, Thalay Sagar, Meru, and Bhagirathi III. In addition to its mesmerising beauty and appeal, it is also an important pilgrimage site for the Hindus and a dip in its water is considered as a sacred ritual.
On the other hand, Tapovan is located at the foothills of the Shivling Peak and is considered as a challenging route for the trekkers. Reaching a height of around 14,640ft, it is often thronged by the sadhus. This thrilling Gomukh Tapovan Trek takes you through some of the untouched places of the region. Marvel at the sight of the amazing beauty of the region as you keep continuing your trek. The sight of the Bhagirathi sisters glistening in the moonlight from Bhojbasa will make you stare at it for long.
The trekking trail typically has steady inclines and level walks. Trek for another 20-30 minutes and you will see another stream gushing below a makeshift bridge. You get clear perspectives of the Bhagirathi crests from Chirbasa. Additionally unmistakable out there is the mouth of the glacier. Your trek to Gomukh Tapovan will be one of the most memorable treks for you.
Gomukh Tapovan Trek Highlights:
– Enjoy camping at a high summit and the clear night sky under the billions of stars. Also, enjoy a small bonfire with your friends.
– Get a chance to witness the rare flora and fauna of this region as you continue your trek.
– Catch the glimpses of magnificent Bhagirathi peaks from Chirbasa. Also visible in the distance is the mouth of the Gaumukh glacier.
– During your trek you will also trek through Chota Jhandidar and Bada Jhandidar.
– The snow-capped mountain and the distant valleys will definitely make you wish to come back here once again.
– Trek to Bhojwassa which is studded with trees and is mostly barren and often compared to the Arctic Tundra region.
– Also, get a chance to visit Kriti and Meru glacier during your trek.
Quick Facts About Gomukh Tapovan:
Temperature: Day: 12°C to 17°C and Night: 2°C to 7°C. Can drop to -2°C to -3°C at Tapovan
Maximum Altitude: 14200 ft
Gomukh Tapovan Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate-Difficult
Railway Station: Dehradun Railway Station
ATM: Uttarkashi has the last ATM point before your trek begins.
- High-quality camps and tents
- All Meals Included
- Pick up from the airport/railway station
- All meals
- Group medical kit
- Good quality accommodation
- Trek pack including sleeping bag, down or fibre filled jacket, and insulated mat
- Private transportation
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters to carry all personal and group equipment
Things To Carry
- Valid ID proof for each member
- Personal toiletries and medication (if any)
- Warm shirt/light micro fleece pullover/full sleeve T-shirt, water-resistant trekking pants, windproof/water-resistant jacket, thick fleece/full-sleeve woollen sweater, thermal innerwear, woollen cap, inner fleece gloves, outer waterproof gloves, thick woollen socks and regular socks, scarf/muffler
- Comfortable waterproof trekking/hiking shoes with a thick sole, camp shoes
- Raincoat / Poncho
- Sturdy walking stick/trekking pole
- Water bottles, backpack, energy bars/snacks, etc.
- Mosquito & insect repellent
- Sunscreen lotion
- Cap or hat
- Flashlight (with spare batteries)