Nandanvan Trek Overview
Nandanvan trek is one of the most loved adventurous treks in the Garhwal Himalayan region of Uttarakhand. This meadow lies at a height of 15,780 feet at the base of Bhagirathi massif.
Therefore, the journey connects many Hindu holy sites and takes one to the source of River Ganga “Gomukh which is the snout of Gangotri glacier.
During Nandanvan Trek get thrilling experience of crossing Gangotri glacier. Nandanvan is a beautiful lavish meadow located on the base of Bhagirathi Group 1, 2, 3 with the magnificent views of Mt. Shivling, Mt. Kedar Dome and Mt. Meru. The campsite is windy and offers great sight of snow covered peaks. Setup your camps here and settle for the day.
Explore the Verdant Beauty of this Remote Region in Nandanvan Trek
Nandanvan Trek is an Enthralling Gangotri valley in the Garhwal Himalayas of Uttarkashi district in Uttarakhand India, this trek come under Gangotri National park .No doubt, the Himalayas have enchanting beauty, bracing climate and desirable soothing green meadow. So, what else can be better than spending some days here in the serenity!
Prior experience is Important for Nandanvan Trek
The gradient of Nandanvan trek is moderate but the trail demands crossing moraines, glaciated tracks and steep climbs and glaciers. Fitness and prior experience is important to do this trek.
But, the beginners should choose some easy level treks and avoid treks like Nandanvan. However, if your fitness is good and you are capable enough then you can choose to taste its adventure.
History of Nandanvan Trek and Bhagirathi peak 1, 2, 3
Nandanvan trek start from Gangotri base camp, Gangotri is a holy town perched at an altitude of 3,415 m on Bhagirathi River’s banks in Uttarkashi district. According to the legend, it is Goddess Ganga’s shrine and this pious site is the part of Char Dham which holds a great place in the heart of Hindu mythology and Hindu devotees.
A temple “Gangotri” is present in this region which was built by “Amar Singh Thapa” in 19th Century. Therefore, the purest deity “Ganga” is worshipped in this town. Here is the presence of many hot water springs nearby and it is believed that a dip in the pure water of Ganges washes all the sins.
During treta yug – maha Ashwamedha Yagna King Sagar sent his 60,000 sons along with a horse and the horse got lost and the sons went in search of horse to saint Kapil muni ashram, he was in deep meditation. The saint opened his eyes in anger and turned all 60,000 sons into ashes.
Then, Kapila advised Anshuman (grandson of king Sagar) to request Goddess Ganga to come on earth and cleanse all the ashes and provide salvation but he failed.
Bhagirathi extreme meditation made goddess Ganga to come down to earth. Lord Shiva tied Ganga then distributed the water into many streams to save earth from the powerful force. Bhagirathi is second name of Ganga maa.
Why to choose Nandanvan Trek?
- Before heading towards the itinerary, it is really essential to perceive the reason behind choosing Nandanvan trek.
- See firstly, the trekking distance is a total of by taxi 516 Km both side and on foot 56 km which is to be covered into 9 days. . Dehradun to Dehradun
- Nandanvan trek is a high altitude mountain trek Altitudes is 15,780 feet
- The Starting trail is moderate as compare to other treks this is difficult trek. So this trek is not for beginners
- Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature?
- You got to see so many heavenly bodies at one place like the panoramic view of the Himalayan ranges Gangotri, you can see pine forests, different variety of flora and fauna surpassing through bona fide Garhwali culture.
- Beautiful landscapes so carry proper photo gear & Extra battery backup.
- The backpack should not exceed 12 kg only
Base camp: – Gangotri
Summer Temperature: – Day (5°C to 10°C) Night (2° C to 6° C)
Tapovan Altitude: – 4810 Meter
Best Time: – May, June, September, October
Trek Level: – Difficult,
Trek distance: – On foot 56 Km – By taxi 516 km
- High-quality camps and tents
- All Meals Included
- Pick up from the airport/railway station
- All meals
- Group medical kit
- Good quality accommodation
- Trek pack including sleeping bag, down or fibre filled jacket, and insulated mat
- Private transportation
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters to carry all personal and group equipment
Things To Carry
- Valid ID proof for each member
- Personal toiletries and medication (if any)
- Warm shirt/light micro fleece pullover/full sleeve T-shirt, water-resistant trekking pants, windproof/water-resistant jacket, thick fleece/full-sleeve woollen sweater, thermal innerwear, woollen cap, inner fleece gloves, outer waterproof gloves, thick woollen socks and regular socks, scarf/muffler
- Comfortable waterproof trekking/hiking shoes with a thick sole, camp shoes
- Raincoat / Poncho
- Sturdy walking stick/trekking pole
- Water bottles, backpack, energy bars/snacks, etc.
- Mosquito & insect repellent
- Sunscreen lotion
- Cap or hat
- Flashlight (with spare batteries)