Roopkund Trek Overview
Blessed with deep virgin forests, gurgling brooks, breath-taking campsites and the beckoning meadows Roopkund trek is a must do trek for you. Get a chance to taste adventure as you climb from 8,000 ft to 16,000 ft in a period of 8 days. The adventure starts for you from the second day onwards as you start trekking to Roopkund Glacial lake. Take the Lord Curzon trail starting Lohajung and follow a steady uphill trek through the Lohajung Pass and then reach the Bedni River.
Get a chance to admire the stunning view of the Garhwal Himalayan ranges as you trek from Didna Village to Ali Bugyal on your third day. On your fourth day, you will be trekking from Ali Bugyal to Ghora Lotani and witness the beauty of the Himalayas. Also, spot a Himalayan Magpie on the way. On your fifth day you will be trekking from Ghora Lotani to Bhagwabasa, here you will face the challenges of high altitudes, zig-zag trails and the icy cold winds. Passing through Kalu Vinayak, you will finally reach Bhagwabasa.
On your sixth day, you will pass from Bhagwabasa to Roopkund Lake and then to Bedni Bugyal. The uninhabited landmark in the laps of Mt. Trishul has overwhelmed many travellers with its innumerable stories. Admire the charming Garhwal Himalayas in full glory extending up to Gangotri. On your seventh day you will start trekking back from Bedni Bugyal to Lohajung and pass through the hundreds of blooming rhododendrons and then take a steep turn for the Neel Ganga and arrive at Wan. You will complete you trek on the eight day. Roopkund trek is definitely the one which will make your dream come true of trekking in the mountains.
About the Roopkund:
A trek to Mystery Lake of Uttarakhand i.e. Roopkund Lake is a must-do for an avid trekker! Battling several adversities common to the Himalayas, this water body perched in the laps of the snow-clad Mt. Trishul is situated at an altitude of 16,499ft.
Most attractive for the human skeletons lying at the bottom of the lake, which are distinctly visible when the snow melts, the lake is swarmed by the plenitude of visitors.
The route along the Roopkund trek is a fascinating journey of discovering the most pristine of the Himalayan contribution of oak and blooming rhododendron forests. A moderate trek, the trek trails through mountainous rivers, enthralling ridges, lush forests and scenic meadows.
Roopkund Trek Highlights:
– Feast your eyes as you see the gurgling brooks, breath-taking campsites during this amazing Roopkund trek.
– Enjoy camping near the cascading water and the clean night sky under the billions of stars. Also, enjoy a small bonfire with your friends.
– Trek through some of the most alpine and forests of fir, Rhododendron, and Oak.
– Get a chance to witness the rare flora and fauna of this region as you continue your trek.
– Feast your eyes at the majestic view of the Mt Trishul looms over the place as you continue climbing.
– Enclosed by mountains, this is the perfect place for taking some amazing photographs.
– Admire the imposing Chaukhamba range, Neelkanth peak, Kedarnath, Kedar Dom.
– Spend some time staring at the might white peaks and pass through the small streams on your way.
– And also meet the local people here and share a cup of tea while you learn about their culture.
Quick Facts About Roopkund Trek:
Temperature: Day: 13 to 18°C and Night: -5 to 7°C
Roopkund Trek Distance: 53km
Maximum Altitude: 16,499 ft
Roopkund Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate To Difficult
Railway Station: Kathgodam Railway station is the nearest railway station
Base Camp: Lohajung
- High-quality camps and tents
- All Meals Included
- Pick up from the airport/railway station
- All meals
- Group medical kit
- Good quality accommodation
- Trek pack including sleeping bag, down or fibre filled jacket, and insulated mat
- Private transportation
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters to carry all personal and group equipment
Things To Carry
- Valid ID proof for each member
- Personal toiletries and medication (if any)
- Warm shirt/light micro fleece pullover/full sleeve T-shirt, water-resistant trekking pants, windproof/water-resistant jacket, thick fleece/full-sleeve woollen sweater, thermal innerwear, woollen cap, inner fleece gloves, outer waterproof gloves, thick woollen socks and regular socks, scarf/muffler
- Comfortable waterproof trekking/hiking shoes with a thick sole, camp shoes
- Raincoat / Poncho
- Sturdy walking stick/trekking pole
- Water bottles, backpack, energy bars/snacks, etc.
- Mosquito & insect repellent
- Sunscreen lotion
- Cap or hat
- Flashlight (with spare batteries)